C2 Proficiency. Writing Part 2. Article. Ireland.


I am now preparing for the C2 Proficiency test (fka CPE) and writing like crazy. I know most people get the lowest score for the writing component of English exams (find out why here), which is not something I want to happen to me, so I write. In this post, I want to share my Writing Part 2 article about being close to nature.

Task: 
A magazine is running a series of articles on people’s experiences of being close to nature, for example, visits to beautiful lakes and mountains, or encounters with wildlife. You decide to write an article in which you briefly describe an experience you have had when you were close to nature, and explain what you learned from this. You should also evaluate the role that contact with nature plays in people’s lives. (Cambridge English Proficiency 2, Test 1, Question 4).

My answer: 
Out of all the countries I have visited, Ireland stands out. Nowhere have I seen such scenic and serene places so close to city life. The country is literally lined with spectacular walking trails. Out of all the Irish trails I have walked, one stands out. It’s the trail leading up the Torc Mountain in Killarney National Park. Having climbed the mountain in annoyingly incessant drizzle, I was awarded with stunning views of the lakes and valleys below.

I made my way up in complete solitude - no other hiker in their right mind was willing to embark on this adventure in this weather - which made me realize a thing or two. Living in a city with a population of 7 million people, rarely do I get to enjoy silence. The Killarney soundtrack was noiseless wind which seemed to have taken my city stress away. When I got to the top, it dawned on me that it was the first time I had reached for my phone. Mind you, I had the urge to take a picture, not check my social media accounts. I was off the grid, and happily so. It felt like magic. On the way down, another magical thing started happening. My brain started coming up with ideas for work. I thought I was taking time off, but I turned out to become more productive.

This got me thinking. Why do we keep fighting this? Why do we keep staying home, glued to our TV or phone screens? Why do we keep destroying the areas of national beauty? We have nothing to gain by isolating ourselves from nature. In our increasingly busy and demanding lives, nature might be the only cure we have. Nature is what can effortlessly force us to take a break and clear our heads. Nature is what can effortlessly help us to get inspired and recharge our batteries. I am going on a hike next weekend. Who is with me?

326 words 

What I am presenting here is the second version. The first version was about Wicklow Way (also Ireland), but all my descriptions sounded too clichéd, so I decided to go for something different. It was also 360 words long, so I removed a couple of sentences. The perfectionist in me now sees some imperfections in the answer above, but I decided to share an honest version.

I am enjoying C2 Proficiency writing part 2 immensely. It is very different from IELTS or TOEFL. It is also very new to me, so your feedback will be much appreciated.

PS:
Here is a photo of me finally making it to the top. Luckily, the annoyingly incessant drizzle had stopped by the time we made it. Which reminds me. I lied a little in the article. There was another hiker who embarked on this adventure in this weather - Petr Filippov, who is also the author of the photos. 


Comments

  1. I'm utterly amazed! Have you lived in Ireland long?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to tame your IELTS pie charts

Top 8 mistakes Russian learners of English actually make

My Fulbright application or a teachable moment on essay writing

C2 Proficiency. Writing Task 2. Review (of a film I haven’t seen).