Good Night, St Petersburg


This is the piece I wrote for the "Good Night, Moscow" creative writing contest by American Center in Moscow. Before doing so, I told Timur Khamzin "I don't care about winning. I can always publish my piece in my community." The time has come to publish my piece "Good Night, St Petersburg" in my community. Enjoy!

✽✽✽

The morning is ruined by the blocked nose. Coffee and nasal spray do the trick, but I rummage in the cupboard for tissues anyway. I know I will have the sniffles for the rest of the day, so better safe than sorry.

Pockets full of tissues, I sink into a metro seat. Achoo.

-  Bless you. Fighting the sniffles?

Talking to a stranger on the metro? He can't be local.

-  Yep. A never-ending fight in this city.
-  You must really love it if you are willing to fight the never-ending fight.
-  I do. It was love at first sight. The bridges, the embankments, the buildings that are one kilometer long… I came for the romance, but the romance comes at a price. Nothing nasal spray and tissues can't fix though.
-  I understand why you came.

But why did I stay? Achoo.

-  Bless you. Have some hot tea with raspberries and lemon before you go to bed.
-  Will do. Are you wearing two sweaters?
-  Indeed I am. A fleece and a sweater, technically. I don't remember the last time I had been so fiercely attacked by winds on all fronts. Came unprepared and was defeated instantly. Had to borrow the fleece. It helps some.
-  You should have come in summer. What person in their right mind comes here in December, not to mention without a fleece?

I blurt it out, unfiltered. A carmine fleece is sticking out from underneath an ochre-yellow, inch-thick, cable-knit sweater. I feel extreme warmth consuming me as if I am wearing that sweater myself, and I know I'm blushing. I force my mouth to curve a polite smile. Not a nerve twitches on his face. Because he is right. If you really want to go, you pack up and go, regardless.

-  There will always be someone to lend you a fleece.
-  Or a sweater. Chernyshevskaya, that's me. Stay warm!

Achoo. I'm all tucked up in bed, hot tea by my side. Good night, St Petersburg. I am on the mend.

✽✽✽

Image credit: Photo by Petr Filippov at https://www.instagram.com/panzverski/ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to tame your IELTS pie charts

Top 8 mistakes Russian learners of English actually make

My Fulbright application or a teachable moment on essay writing

C2 Proficiency. Writing Task 2. Review (of a film I haven’t seen).