A finger-licking dinner dish. No unicorn tears required.


Can you make a finger-licking dinner dish out of cauliflower or broccoli? Olga can and is sharing her secret recipe with all of us. 

Olga wrote this post in my "Write for Real: Blogging in English" course. I love it because it's a perfect combination of practical and personal: it's a real recipe told through the lens of Olga's sweet personality.

✽✽✽

"I thought you couldn’t even make a decent brew," my cousin said, sipping tea whilst helping herself to a second serving of my signature cauliflower cheese.

Actually, I CAN make a nice cup of tea as I had quite an extensive training in all sorts of tea leaves and milk- to-brew ratios when working for my English boss and much more but… There are just certain skills that one wouldn’t casually share. Otherwise you would all be calling me all the time to ask how many lemons to put into a lemon cake.

I do sometimes embrace my inner Jamie Oliver, though I am perfectly happy to keep everyone disillusioned about my cooking. I’d rather make a rabbit stifado once a month rather than provide everyone with lunch boxes and dinners every day.

Well, back to my favorite recipe of simple and humble cauliflower cheese that will keep every party guest happy. Don’t worry, you won’t need unicorn tears or moon dust unlike other cuisine recipes. What you will need is: 
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • A knob of butter
  • A spoon of flour
  • A glass of milk
  • A generous amount of broccoli/cauliflower
  • A sprinkle of salt and pepper
  • Any cheese (cheddar is the best though!)
  • Bread crumbs
  • And my secret ingredient - nutmeg
First, do the béchamel sauce (or simply said - whisk butter, flour and milk together with your salt, pepper and nutmeg). Put the veggies in the tray and grate that garlic; then pour over the béchamel sauce and add a layer of cheese and breadcrumbs. Leave it baking at around 180C, nicely bubbling away until golden. Finish it off with a lot of love, and you’re good to go!

As my cousin was munching her third serving she begged me for the recipe, which I am sharing with you today. You see? I CAN indeed make a nice brew and a finger-licking dinner dish. And now so can you!

✽✽✽

It does sound finger-licking good, doesn't it? Embrace your inner Jamie Oliver and give it a shot! 

Image credit: Photo by Louis Hansel - Restaurant Photographer on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to tame your IELTS pie charts

Top 8 mistakes Russian learners of English actually make

My Fulbright application or a teachable moment on essay writing

C2 Proficiency. Writing Task 2. Review (of a film I haven’t seen).