"I have always wanted to write a book that ended with the word 'mayonnaise.'"




My Creative Writing Contest "Mayonnaise," first ever, has come to an end. I am not participating, but I have written a story because I love the prompt, which was "Write a story that ends with the words 'Mayonnaise.'" I love it for two reasons (apart from the fact that I came up with it myself). First, it gives you a lot of freedom to write whatever story you want - serious or light-hearted, with or without a message, somewhat true or entirely fictitious. Second, it allows you to exercise your imagination because "Mayonnaise" can be anything - food, your dog's name, your nickname, your password, you name it.

A lot of people ask me, "Why did you choose this word?" I am now ready to lift the veil. There is a book that ends with the word "mayonnaise" - "Trout Fishing in America" by Richard Brautigan. The author said, "I have always wanted to write a book that ended with the word 'mayonnaise.'" And he did. I guess this wonderfully quirky idea had somehow got stuck in my subconsciousness and then suddenly surfaced when the contest idea popped up.

Without further ado, here is my story that ends with the word "mayonnaise."

✽✽✽

It will leave a stain

The chopping stops, half tomato left uncut. "Oil or mayonnaise? For the seasoning. Do you want oil or mayonnaise?" The squeaky fridge door goes open and excruciatingly slowly shut.

A blank stare from him, and the question is left hanging. She knows. She knows what he is thinking about. She is thinking about that too but is keeping up the façade of normalcy. It's breakfast as usual. She is trying to be supportive, succeeding too. What else can she do but offer this illusion of a normal life?

Because all they can both do now is pretend to have a normal life for one last day. As normal as a life of someone who is facing a death sentence can be, that is. The decision is probably on a par with a death sentence. Self-inflicted and self-imposed.

- Are you sure you want to go through with it? We don't have to. We can stay.
- I have to. I can't stay.
- Are you sure it's worth it? Sacrificing your life for the sake of what? Or are you hoping they won't go through with it? One chance in a million.

Not a word is said out loud, but their eyes are conversing louder than thunder. 
He knows. He knows what she is thinking anyway. A fly intrudes on their morning, buzzing its annoying buzz, a harbinger of death. 

- One life for the sake of happy millions.
- Millions who don't care. Blissfully chugging beer while turning over their barbecue.
- They deserve to be happy too.

The buzzing stops. The fly lands on the immaculate white wall. The opposite wall, directly opposite the stare.

- They'll crush you like that fly.
- It'll leave a stain.

It will leave a stain. He sighs and blinks slowly. It's breakfast as usual. "Thank you. Mayonnaise."

✽✽✽

Make sure to read the winning stories! 

Comments

  1. You definitely need to write a chapter 2 now;) you know that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I? OK, I'll give it some thought. Maybe a happy ending...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to tame your IELTS pie charts

Top 8 mistakes Russian learners of English actually make

My Fulbright application or a teachable moment on essay writing

C2 Proficiency. Writing Task 2. Review (of a film I haven’t seen).